50 Things I Learned from Coppercreek Camp by Phoebe Larkins:
Being a camper at Coppercreek for almost eight years, you learn a few things. Here are some very important things you will learn at camp:
- Nature isn’t THAT scary
- Goldfish is, hands down, the best snack
- Playing all day = a great night’s sleep
- You don’t need TV and the Internet to have fun
- You get used to the permanent horse smell
- Dirt can make its way almost ANYWHERE
- The pool is a great excuse to skip a shower
- Your favorite counselors will be there for you no matter what
- Cereal is always a big hit
- The five minute hike to your cabin’s outpost spot will feel like an eternity
- DON’T DROP YOUR HOTDOG IN THE CAMPFIRE
- Greenville seems like the Big Apple when you leave to do out of camp activities
- It’s a great feeling when you get back to camp after being at the lake all day
- SHOWER! FASTER! SHOWER! FASTER!
- The goats (surprisingly) don’t like being fed dead pine needles
- We’re always running out of glitter
- You’ll lose count of all the shooting stars you will see
- YOU CAN’T RIDE IN MY LITTLE RED WAGON.
- Trying to pile 5 people on a paddle board is physically impossible (so why do we continue to try?!?!?)
- Cookie baking is one of the most crowded activities, get there fast!
- Pure happiness is the feeling you get when you see your best friends after a year of being away from them
- Soccer on the field is intense
- Dirt tan lines aren’t forever
- Craig’s BBQ is better than anything
- It’s completely acceptable to see everyone when you’ve just woken up and haven’t brushed your teeth yet.
- Rest hour naps are a necessity
- Don’t be afraid of going to see the nurse if you need to!
- Becky is like your camp mom
- Homesickness doesn’t last long at Coppercreek
- You never forget your favorite camp people
- Camp food tastes GREAT.
- Put on sunscreen everyday!
- When it says volleyball on the schedule, it means volleyball. Not nameball.
- Four happy thoughts will stick with you all year
- Reaching the bell at the climbing wall is an awesome accomplishment
- If you keep your eyes peeled you may see deer on the soccer field
- The Big Fun Game is actually big and fun.
- When you get home from camp, you will find yourself waking up at 7:30 and going to bed at 9 on a regular basis
- Thinking is overrated.
- Shampoo is actually not necessary
- Tie dye day is the best day
- Capture the flag feels like an actual war zone
- You can use dirt as makeup if you try hard enough
- The pool is a great place for a polar plunge
- Opening a package at camp is like opening presents on Christmas morning
- It can be freezing when you wake up and blazing hot an hour later
- The sunset at Vespers is absolutely gorgeous *spirit fingers*
- You will need a pedicure after camp
- Friday night is party night!
- Coppercreek Camp is a place for making new friendships, creating memories, learning life skills, forging new paths in life as you know it, and most importantly having fun.
We will be having an informational session on February 4th from 7pm-8:30pm in Palo Alto. Meet the directors, returning campers, and new interested families. Learn about the mission of Coppercreek Camp and watch a video showcasing special moments from Summer 2015.
This is in one week! We are so excited to see everyone. It is not too late to RSVP. Email us and we will send you the address and directions. See you all soon!
“Thank you for letting be able to come to camp I like campfire and the dance the afternoon lake A LOT.” ~Love Your Camper
A Short Piece of Emma D’s Masterpiece:
I’m grateful for my visit during this wonderful Session Three.
For the mountain bike rides, volleyball games, and high ropes mornings spent up in the tree.
I’m glad I was able to see old friends and make new ones, too.
I had so many laughs through bed time sing-a-longs, pool side chats, and EPIC soccer games, too.
Each one of you made it worth the fly; especially those lovely ladies of FBI.